Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Just Past Halfway

I completed the first half of the Camino de Santiago yesterday and commenced the second half today.
The experience is almost surreal, I often still feel new to the Camino and at other times it seems as if I have been walking forever. I've walked 265 miles in the past 17 days, just a bit over 15 miles a day on average, but today I humped out 20 miles, 30 kilometers in seven hours. I think this is my limit. The next two days are much shorter as I approach Leon and a rest day on Saturday.

My feet are doing better and the heel blisters are almost well. My toes however continue to take a pounding. I think this is just the price to pay for the constant walking on rough terrain!

Life offers simple pleasures, a good bed, and the joy of allowing my feet to rest. I'm impressed with how my body regenerates each evening allowing me to continue the journey in the morning.

My English clergyman acquaintance caught up with me yesterday, but got ill in the night and I again parted with him as he got to the hostal in Sahagun. He said it was just something from the dinner the night before and he wanted to have a short day. We said our goodbyes just in case we don't run across each other on down the road.

We may very we'll see each other as I often see the same people tracking with me. There is a loose sort of community that builds from walking and eating and often rooming with the same cohort day after day. I spent the afternoon yesterday butchering Spanish with Lucian Rudolfo from Buenos Aries, Argentina and Hermann from Germany, Brandon from Dublin, and Morris from Brazil were my roommates last night in Terradillos de los Templarios, the last holdout of The Knights Templar.

 The albergue we stayed in is named after the last Grand Master of the Order, Jacques de Molay. The meal served was traditional home made sausage and potatoes (I think this is what didn't sit well with Graham).

I'm in El Burgo Ranero today and head to  Mansilla de las Mulas (Hand on the saddle of the mules) tomorrow, an easy 12 miles. I'm looking forward to a day of not walking on Saturday!

315k to go!


The Arco San Benito in Sahagun


Buen Camino!

No comments: