Saturday, October 11, 2014

Accepting Hardship as a Pathway to Peace


I'm in Fonfria, Galicia, Spain tonight, an ancient town with good wifi! Technology is amazing!
Today was the day that I climbed out of the Rio Valcarse valley in Vega de Valcarse (elevation 2000') to O'Cebreiro, pronounced "O-thay-bray-Air-oh" (4300').
This elevation was gained in less than six miles of hiking so I knew I was in for a climb.
On day one of the Camino as I hiked through the Pyrenees from France to Spain the hiking was very difficult. I had not done much mountain work and knew I needed the practice.
Elevation chart of day 1
Elevation chart of day 28

So instead of feeling bad about my physical condition I decided to use the other hills that I  encountered as an opportunity to train.

In the Serenity Prayer there is great wisdom:
 "Living one day at a time,
 enjoying one moment at a time, accepting hardship as a pathway to peace. 
Taking as Jesus did this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it, so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with you forever in the next!"

The change of focus from "oh no, another hill to climb" to "Great, this is another opportunity to train" has paid off and today was that day.

After 28 days of practice my body naturally goes into a climbing stance when I approach a hill where most of the hiking is done by my legs and although the climbing was physically strenuous I was not winded or worn out when I reached O'Cebreiro. Which was a good thing since I still had seven more miles to go to Fonfria (cold fountain). 16 miles total today including the climb. I'm proud of my sixty year old body!

Here are some shots taken during the day.
If you look closely you can see a castle in the mist!

A shot of the valley and a friend Yves from Quebec who picks flowers every day and wears them in his hat and then leaves them along the trail.
Interesting people on the Camino. He reminds me of the fable "The Man Who Planted Trees"

The building styles are very Celtic in Galicia 

Less than 100 miles to go now. I have a couple of shorter days and plan to arrive in Santiago before noon next Saturday.

Buen Camino!




No comments: