Sunday, September 21, 2014

Layover in Logroño


It's Sunday, September 21, my sixtieth birthday. I decided to take a day off every week or so and pace myself and today is the first full rest day. 

I had planned to stop in Logroño and fortunately booked a hotel ahead of time because this week is an annual festival to celebrate the grape harvest, Festival de San Mateo.

I got caught in a sea of people yesterday afternoon on the way into town but no one seemed to mind a sweaty, pack wearing pilgrim pushing through the crowd. 

As I neared the area of my hotel I was disoriented and a kindly local man came up and walked me to the hotel, about a block away. Having a private room and bath, without needing to get up at dawn to get packed has been wonderful.

It's been interesting watching the celebration in the old section of town, almost 24 hour revelry. The party went on  yesterday until 4 am!



I had a hearty lunch of patatas a los pobre, pan y aqua mineral.

Potatoes, chorizo, pimento peppers and onion topped with a fried egg. Muy bueno!

Tomorrow I'm back on the Camino, rested and ready for another week. I've traveled 102 of 490 miles and my feet and legs are doing well. Tomorrow the goal is Najera, 18.7 miles west.
Buen Camino

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Jerry. Really enjoying your blog. It is obvious God has plenty to show you on this journey Go Jerry, go.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday. I'm enjoying your blog. No doubt God has lots to show you. Go Jerry go!