Friday, September 05, 2014

Fear or Excitement?

Less than 72 hours until I begin my Camino. I'm finding myself with a mix of emotions. Is it fear, excitement or maybe a mix of the two?

This entire process is one of transformation, transition and the more I think about it the more excited I get! 

I had coffee this morning with one of my band of Brothers and we had a great discussion on transition and what it means to be transitioning right now at my advanced age of  60. 

Daniel's not quite that old but still it's been an interesting last two years for both of us.

While we talked together it became clearer to me  that part of the task of this walking experience is refocusing on what life will be like for me as a 60-year-old once I return to Oklahoma. I realize that many of my mentors have died. Others that I want to respect as mentors have proven disappointing. 

Because of these changes, experiences that  used to have great meaning are no longer part of my life. New relationships have entered, new forms of worship and experiencing God. 

 A renewed sense of discipleship and experiencing God in the moment is fundamental  as is mentoring of younger persons. I think the fear may be in the transition of moving from being mentored to mentoring without my older guides and that feels a little uncertain.

So back to the purpose of the Camino. As I transition the experience of the Camino sets up a growing edge on my spiritual life. Having several hours a day to think while I'm walking I pray will bring clarity.

  I look forward to what will happen in the next seven weeks and to share these experiences with you. So, that's my fear and excitement! As my mother would say " We're going to have to pray! it's come to that!" Thanks mother for teaching me to pray!

No comments: