Sunday, November 23, 2008

Outer Mountain Loop December 8-12, 2008

In two weeks I plan to be on the Outer Mountain Loop, if all goes as expected. Here is my itinerary based on the information I have gathered for the past few months. Other ideas and updates may be added up to the point of leaving the trailhead!

Day 1: Cache water and food at Homer Wilson Ranch early, get permits and hopefully hit the trail by 9:00 am. I plan to hike up the Pinnacles Trail, move on to Juniper Canyon and zone camp somewhere past Upper Juniper Spring. (9-10 hard miles)

Day 2: Complete Juniper Canyon and begin the Dodson Trail camping at Fresno Creek. If I have the time and energy I may do some exploring of the Elephant Tusk Trail, but I imagine I'll need the rest. (7-8 miles)

Day 3: Complete the Dodson Trail, refill with water and food at Homer Wilson Ranch and camp in the Cedar Spring area. (6-7 miles)

Day 4: Climb out Blue Creek Canyon and camp at either LW 1 (Thanks Wild West Guy) SE1 or SE2 (sunset). (6-7 miles) If I'm too worn out to do the Rim, I can bail at Laguna Meadow.

Day 5: Sunrise on the Rim and then back to the Basin via Boot Canyon and the Pinnacles again. (7 miles)I figure that this plan should allow ample time for sightseeing and still get the job done, by my figures about 40 miles in 5 days.

More to follow.

No comments: